Who we are
St.Mark’s Early Learners Montessori School is a Primary program preschool located in DeKalb County.
What is Montessori?
“The essence of independence is to be able to do something for one’s self. Adults work to finish a task, but the child works in order to finish a task, but the child works in order to grow and create the adult he or she will become. Such experience is not just play… it is the work the child must do in order to grow up.” -Maria Montessori
Dr. Montessori believed that children were born with a natural curiosity and desire to learn about the world around them.
Our role as adults is to provide them with the tools they need to explore and learn. The Montessori classroom is a carefully designed environment that allows children to interact with specially prepared materials to maximize independent learning. Young children need to touch, feel, see, sense and move through their world to gain understanding and experience. The Montessori method of instruction allows them to do this and is designed for children to learn at his/her own pace.
The Goals of a Montessori Education:
– to nurture a positive attitude toward learning,
– to develop self-confidence
– to develop concentration,
– to foster natural curiosity,
– to develop initiative and persistence,
– to foster inner security and a sense of order,
– to develop sensory-motor skills,
– to encourage creative thinking.
1. Practical Life